The town of Oprtalj-Portole in Croatia is situated on the hill in central northern Istria, it has become a popular excursion destination for lovers of folklore and tradition of the Istrian peninsula. Oprtalj-Portole is a historical fort town surrounded by defensive walls on which houses were built among barely protruding former town gates. In front of the gates, there is a huge Venetian loggia with the collection of stone monuments and an immediate vicinity of a plateau situated on the high fortifications offering the view all the way to the sea. Hiking or walking in the surrounding areas provides an unforgettable view of the landscapes of the untouched nature, while hunting tourism was developed for guests wanting adventure and a more active holiday.
The gastronomic offer in Oprtalj consists of home-made specialties prepared according to traditional recipes.
What does Oprtalj in Croatia offer?
• Parish church of St. George (Sv. Juraj) that dates to the ancient 1517 is filled with Glagolitic inscriptions
• Tall bell tower next to the church of St. George (Sv. Juraj) differs from all others because it is not marked with a pyramidal roof, but reminds of a medieval tower
• Two smaller churches painted with frescos are exceptionally preserved despite their age
• Wine roads collect wine and home-made products producers
• Alpe Adria folk fest gathers representatives of several countries who proudly demonstrate folklore dances or their areas
• Black truffle fair
• Antiques fair offers a possibility to view antiques and art works of exhibitors from Croatia and the surrounding countries
• Family agricultural tourisms and taverns